Sunday 2 February 2014

Representation of the Human Body - Personal Fave



Nir Arieli

Tension

"I can’t dance. I can’t in my room, nor in a club, let alone any kind of stage. Whenever I am forced to try, I stumble or freeze or drink enough to disappear. However, this time, for the first time, I found myself actively involved in dancing - even if by using someone else’s body.

In my project I function as a visual choreographer, making up a certain movement language that is the outcome of a verbal dialogue between the photographed dancer and I. On my part, it is a language born of a screech, it is uncomfortably beautiful.
I don’t predetermine the result - insisting on well-planned perfectness - but rather establish a strong understanding, let the dancer improvise and capture his movements. Afterwards, I experiment with layering various photos on top of each other, searching for intriguing combinations. Unlike everything I had done in the past, which was always carefully sculpted, this time I put my trust in the coincidental.

My subjects provided me with the physical intelligence. I only had vague mental images, a camera, and a long history of unused dancefloors."

 




 
 



Max De Esteban



Elegies Of Manumission
Elegy III - On the Uncertainty of Being

If years ago made sense to express the dominant anguish and distress through the representation of the diversity of the identical, the anxiety of nothingness, the repression of emotion and youth as integrated citizens; not anymore.

 

  

 



Marlous Van Der Sloot

"In the modern society we often want to forget that 'the physical' is also a source of information. Because of rationalisation, we turned away from our 'ordinary' world, convinced that our senses do not learn us anything valuable.  But we cannot ignore
our body and look at it as a 'lifeless bag of cells'. We don't just have a body, we are a body. Forgetting this gives us the same feeling as a sleeping arm. In this condition your limb is biological still yours, but you do not experience it as yours.
It seems the arm of a stranger...

The alienation of our body is the theme of my work. My aim is to create images
which raise physical awareness" 


  

 

  

  





Giuseppe Santagata

Viscera

"I use self-representation as an intimate and introspective investigation, transforming every self-portrait into a metaphysical manifesto.

Like Narcissus in front of the mirror, I reproduce the image of myself, making my body the subject and the object of my research.  Through this, vulnerability is revealed in its natural state, as if it were a dimension of a body that, in the face of constant social aggression, isolates itself.

An altered human anatomy, which is, at times, unrecognizable,  becomes a shapeless mass.  Hybrid viscera, solitary and fragile, in an intimate metamorphosis towards death."
 Giuseppe Santagata - Viscera 01 

Giuseppe Santagata - Viscera 03 
 Giuseppe Santagata - Viscera 06 



Rosy Martin
Phototherapy dealing with aging

"In the everyday world most people deal with the parts of themselves that they cannot face by psychically splitting these off and projecting them out onto others. We are all exposed to an endless stream of images in the media, chosen to confront or seduce our gaze, to elicit feelings of horror, fear, grief, loss, desire, pleasure, envy, inadequacy, joy and catharsis. Turn on the television for the news: another disaster, another starving child, followed by the adverts peopled by beautiful women, handsome men, happy families all orchestrated around desirable objects, then the soap opera, the police drama, the sit-com, the horror movie; we are offered an endless flow of visual stories in which archetypes and stereotypes play out our unconscious dramas. But within this hegemony only the dominant cultural stories are regularly told--so much remains unsaid, and unseen."

 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.